ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming Review
Today we have the opportunity of reviewing a ASUS TRX40 ATX motherboard which supports the new 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper series processors, the ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming Motherboard. The ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming motherboard is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) product segment from ASUS, which is the most anticipating class segment for enthusiasts, gamers and overclockers.
For this review we are pairing this motherboard with AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core, 64-Thread Unlocked Desktop CPU, which is a monster CPU in the HEDT market. And ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming Motherboard with 16 power stages, on-board Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), 2.5 Gbps LAN, USB 3.2 Gen 2, SATA, three M.2, OLED and Aura Sync RGB lighting tries to offer best with the AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs.
Now let's see what ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming board have for us.
- Ready for the latest 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ series processors to maximize connectivity and speed with up to three M.2 drives, USB 3.2 Gen 2.
- Unmatched personalization: OLED and Aura Sync RGB lighting, including RGB headers and addressable Gen 2 RGB headers
- Optimal Power Solution: 16 power stages with ProCool II power connector, high-quality chokes and durable capacitors to support multi-core processors
- Comprehensive cooling: Active cooling VRM and Chipset heatsink, stacked-fin heatsink, with on-board dual M.2 heatsinks and a water pump+ header
- Gaming connectivity: Three M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port and Type-C front panel connector
- Gaming networking: 2.5Gbps LAN and Intel® Gigabit Ethernet with ASUS LANGuard, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with MU-MIMO, and gateway teaming via GameFirst V
- Gaming audio: High fidelity audio with SupremeFX S1220, DTS® Sound Unbound and Sonic Studio III to draw you deeper into the action
- Easy DIY: ROG-patented pre-mounted I/O shield, Flexkey, ASUS SafeSlot, ASUS Node connector and BIOS FlashBack™ for a friendlier building experience
Board comes in a nice black-red cardboard box with model number, image of the board and details about supporting technology and features.
Inside the box
ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-E comes with very nice set of accessories :
- User's manual
- ASUS Q-Shield
- 4 x SATA 6Gb/s cable(s)
- 1 x M.2 Screw Package
- Supporting DVD
Board made with a black PCB of size ATX (30.5 X 24.4 cm) with full black colour metel shield covers the chipset heatsink. Board comes with a small LiveDash OLED screen on I/O shroud and a unique RGB rainfall pattern on the VRM and chipset heatsink
Detailed layout of board.
Let's now see what all components ASUS have planned for this board.
Heatsinks are made up of dense aluminum with thermal pad installed, giving great passive cooling to VRM MOSFETs and chipset.
This board have a massive 16 phase configuration at VRM section driven by ASUS DIGI + AS1405I controller chip . Every phase is driven by Infineon TDA21462 power stages capable up to 60A operations. VRM section also have 60A Ferrite Chokes smooth CPU power.
DRAM Power stage
|CPU|| AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X |
|Board|| ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming |
|RAM||4 X 4GB Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz |
|SSD||SAMSUNG 830 SSD|
|Cooler||Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO |
|GFX||AORUS RX 570|
|PSU||Cooler Master V1000 Platinum|
|Display||Acer S220HQL |
|OS||Windows 10 |
Wattage reading as per displayed by APC Pro 1500VA (Model no. BR1500G-IN) UPS.
- Great looks
- Nice RGB lighting on heatsink
- High performance VRM design
- LiveDash OLED
- Easy Overclocking
- Good network connectivity options
- Due to the board size, RAM DIMM slots are too close to the CPU socket which may result in some problem installing big CPU Air coolers
- Hidden CMOS battery. Down the time after 2-3 years, a simple replacement of the CMOS battery will be a great pain for the user
The ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming motherboard is a good looking and great designed motherboard for mainstream new 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper series processors build with superb High performance VRM design we were easily able to overclock AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core, 64-Thread CPU upto 4.4Ghz and 4.2GHz super stable .
ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming motherboard is listed with a price tag of Rs.43K(approx.) which is a great deal of people looking for a high CPU core count workstation type builds specially using the upcoming AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core, 128-Thread monster CPU. With high performance power delivery design and stable BIOS, the ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming motherboard is worthy of our PC TeK Reviews CHOICE Award.